Stitching is the process of passing threaded needle and thread in and out of a material to make a specific design. The design produced is made up of stitches
IMPORTANCE OF STITCHES IN CLOTHING CONSTRUCTION
- To join two or more pieces of fabric together
- To make decorative design on article
- To mend tears in clothes.
TYPES OF STITCHES
There are three types of stitches namely temporary, the permanent and the decorative stitches.
- Temporary stitches: These hold pieces of fabric together temporarily. They are removed as soon as they have served their purpose e.g. even basting or tacking, diagonal basting, tailor’s tack.
- Permanent stitches: They are used for joining two or separate pieces of material together permanently e.g. running stitches, back stitch, hemming stitch.
- Simple Embroidery or decorative stitches: They are used for decorating the garments. Some can also be used for finishing raw edges e.g. stem stitch, chain stitch, satin stitch, French knots etc.
A seam is a line of stitching that joins two or more pieces of cloth.
POINTS TO CONSIDER WHEN CHOOSING SEAM
- Types of fabric
- The use of the fabric
- Position of the seam
- The person to wear the cloth.
TYPES OF SEAM
- Open or plain seam
- French seam
- Run and fell seam
- Lapped or overlaid seam
Seam finish is the basic sewing process used to neaten the raw edges of a seam especially the open seam.
ADVANTAGES OF SEAM FINISHES
- It prevents the raw edges from fraying.
- It prolongs the life of the article.
- It makes the finished works neat.
- It gives the finished work a professional look.
SEAM FINISH PROCESS
- Edge stitching
- Bound seam finishing.
TO DO AT HOME:
1.Find out the meaning of the following
(i) Facing (ii) Hem
2. What are the uses of facing?
3. What are the guidelines for making a hem?