This is a way of transmitting mechanical power from one place to another. The chain passes over a sprocket gear with the teeth of the gear meshing with the hole of the chain.
When the number of teeth on the driving sprocket is more than the number of teeth on the driven sprockets, then the speed of the chain drive increases.
FIGURE: CHAIN DRIVE
TYPES OF CHAIN
There are various types of chain in chain drive. They include;
- Roller Chain
- Detachable Chain
- Leaf Chain
- Metal Chain
ROLLER CHAIN LEAF CHAIN METAL CHAIN
FIGURE: VARIOUS TYPES OF CHAIN DRIVES
APPLICATIONS OF CHAIN DRIVE
- Arrangement of chain and sprocket is used in bicycle to drive.
- Chain drive is used to make connection between the camshaft and the crankshaft of automobile engines.
- Chain and sprocket arrangement are used in motorcycles to transmit power from engine to the wheel.
- Chain drive is used by forklift to lift and move heavy loads from high level to low level or from one place to another.
ADVANTAGES OF CHAIN DRIVE
- It is reliable because it does not slip like belt drive
- It last longer than belt drive as it does not get worn-out easily.
- It saves cost and time for maintenance because it takes little lubrication for a long period.
- It can be used where the distance between shafts is not large.
- It transmits power efficiently as little friction exists between the chain and the sprocket.
- There is less load on the shafts.
- It can operate under wet conditions.
- In low speed drives, chain drives are more practical than belt drives.
- It occupies less area than belt drive since all parts are made of metal.
DISADVANTAGES OF CHAIN DRIVE
- It cannot be used where long distance is required compared to belt drive and where drive shafts are separated by a large distance.
- It cannot be used to transmit power at inclined angle like crossed belt.
- It needs accurate and careful mounting.
- It suffers more vibration.