This is the manipulation of electoral process by the electoral commission, political parties and candidates.
FORMS OF ELECTORAL MALPRACTICE
- Use of fake ballot paper.
- There may be artificial scarcity of electoral materials in some areas to weaken some parties where they are strong.
- Some political parties may hire under age voters to vote so as to increase their chances of winning.
- Some candidates and their supporters may intimidate some lawful voters to scare away the supporters of the opposing parties
- It may also be in a form of financial inducement to win more votes.
- There may also be detention of some candidates.
- Announcement of wrong candidates as the winner of an election.
CAUSES OF ELECTORAL MALPRACTICES
- It may be caused by corruption of the electoral officers who may receive money from contesting parties.
- Lack of independence of electoral commission.
- Elections are rigged because of politicians who want to enrich themselves when they win such elections.
- Elections may be rigged to perpetuate to perpetuate an existing government in power.
CONSEQUENCES OF ELECTORAL MALPRACTICES
- A wrong candidate who will not be able to perform may win election.
- It may lead to political violence because people will react when their mandate is stolen.
- The society may not witness development as those in power may not be interested in developing the state.
- Such government may embezzle public fund.
- The government may be autocratic.
- People will not be able to enjoy dividend of democracy.
HOW TO PREVENT ELECTORAL MALPRACTICE
- Men of good character should be appointed into the electoral body.
- Workers of the electoral commission should be well remunerated or paid to prevent them from taking bribe.
- The electoral commission should be independent.
- Results of elections should be released on time to prevent to prevent manipulation of figures.
- People should be educated on the negative effects of rigging election which may bring wrong people to power.
- Serious punishment should be meted out to those that rig election in order to serve as deterrent to others.