JSS3 CIVIC FOR WEEK 9
Illiteracy is a state of not being able to read and write. It also means lack of education, ignorance or not being taught or lettered.
CAUSES OF ILLITERACY
1. POVERTY: Many people could not be educated because they could not afford the money to pay as school fees.
2. TRADITIONS AND VALUES: Some who believed in the values and traditions of the community saw education as unnecessary. They see it as enemy of their traditions and values.
3. WRONG ATTITUDE TO EDUCATION: Some people could not be educated because of their personal attitude towards education. Some prefer to go into business rather than going to school.
4. GOVERNMENT POLICIES: Bad policies of government make some people not to have interest in the learning process.
5. LACK OF ACCESSIBILITY TO EDUCATION: Many of the people living in the rural areas could be not educated because they don’t have access to education.
CONSEQUENCES OF ILLITERACY
1. When education is lacking, people will be ignorant of what is happening around them and will not be able to contribute to any meaningful discussion.
2. An uneducated person is prone to manipulation by the educated who can direct him wherever he pleases.
3. An illiterate person may be denied of his rights because he may not be aware of certain fundamental human rights.
4. It may also hinder technological development of the society.
5. The society may not enjoy much progress if there is large number of uneducated people.