INTERNET SEARCH ENGINES
Search engines are websites or software that enables a person to find documents or other media on the internet. It can also be defined as software programs that help users find information stored on a personal computer, or a network of computer such as the internet. The information may consist of images, files, web addresses or links etc.
Internet Search Engine Terms
- Search Query: Also known as ‘user search string’, this is the word or set of words that are typed by the user in the search bar of the search engine.
- Search Engine Results Page (SERP): A search engine results page (SERP) is the page displayed by a search engine in response to a query by a searcher. The main component of the SERP is the listing of results that are returned by the search engine in response to a keyword.
Some of the most popular web search engines and their addresses are:
MSN live search
Uses of Search Engines
Search engines are often used to:
- To search for information on different topics
- For research purpose
- Enterprise search i.e. for buying and selling across the internet
- For educational purpose i.e. to search for educational materials like lecture notes and tutorials in any subject of your choice.
- To search for the meaning of word e.g. from encyclopaedia e.t.c.