Painting is a 2 -dimensional art, so it is done on a flat surface with the use of brush and colors. Painting is simply the application of color to a drawn object. Materials used in painting includes ; colors, pastels, brushes of different sizes ,water or oil, easel, pallete, colored pencils etc
COMMON METHOD USED IN PAINTING
1 ) Painting from sketch; This method is good for beginner because he has to add colors to a preliminary drawing
2) Wash; This method starts with brushing watery colors all over the surface in varied light colors. The painting is later developed by adding darker tones of colors progresevely.
3) impasto; This is the application of thick layers of colors, it is mostly used when painting with oil paints.
TYPES OF PAINTING
- Still life painting; This is the painting of inanimate objects like shoes, buckets, chairs, bags, cups etc.
- Nature painting; This is a painting of natural objects such as plants, stones, animals, birds, fruits etc.
- Figure/life painting ; This is the painting of human being either in whole or in part.
- Landscape/seascape; This is a painting that involves the trees, sky, ocean, houses and lands. Its always an outdoor exercise, which requires the artist to move his tools and materials to the site of painting.
- Imaginative painting; These are paintings done from memory which could be abstract or real e.g painting of a market scene, village scene or a festival.
- Mural painting; This is a painting done on a wall. Mural painting could be done realistically, in abstract and it could be any form of scene.