DIFFERENCE ROLES OF MEMBERS OF THE FAMILY AND ATTRIBUTES OF A GOOD FAMILY NAME
DIFFERENT ROLES OF MEMBERS OF THE FAMILY
(Ephesians 5: 21-33; 6: 1-9; Col. 3: 18-21 and 1 Peter 3: 1-7)
The Bible specific roles outlined for different members of the family. Ephesians 5: 21-22 and Col. 3: 18-21 place a strong emphasis on the teaching that there should love and care between husband and wife, just as Christ loved the church. The passages also teach that they should treat each other and their children with love. Ephesian 6: 1-9 and Col. 3: 18-21 make demands on family members and specify children’s roles, their rights and privileges.
Every member has important roles or duties to perform for the well being of the entire members of the family.
THE HUSBAND / FATHERS ROLES: –
- Love his wife
- Honour his wife as a weaker sex
- Provide for the needs of his family e.g: food , clothes etc
- Don’t be harsh on his wife and children but nourish and cherish them
- Discipline his children in the fear of God
- Do not provoke their children
- Teach his family the word of God
- Protect the whole family good shelter
- Give good education to his children and pay school fees as at when due
- Lay good example for the children
THE WIFE/MOTHERS ROLES:-
- Submit to her husband as the head of the family
- Respect and honour her husband
- Support her husband to provide for basic and educational needs of the children
- Teach her children good behavior
- Pray for all members of the family
- Work hard to make her husband and children comfortable
- Keep her house and environment clean
- Be gentle, quiet and friendly to the children
- Lay example of good behaviour
- Support her husband to discipline the children
THE ROLE OF THE CHILDREN
- Obey their parents
- Respect and honour their parents
- Run errands for their parents
- Participate actively in household chores e. g sweeping, washing, cooking etc.
- Assist their parents in their trade or jobs
- Take good care of their parents when they are old
ATTRIBUTES OF A GOOD FAMILY NAME
(Proverbs 22: 1; Eccl 7: 1)
Good family name is the reputation or good opinion that other people have about our family. The bible is emphatic on Christians having a good name, which is more precious than gold or silver. The book of Proverbs 22: 1 says a “good name is to be chosen rather than great riches, and favour is better than silver or gold”
Eccl 7: 1 says “a good name is better than precious ointment, and the day of death than the day of birth” The following are some of the attributes or features of a good family name:
- Peace co-existence with other members of our community, no violence.
- Been honest, truthful that makes people to trust us.
- Friendly attitude to other community members
- Love one another
- Hospitality and accommodating other people
- Good citizenship – law abiding, paying taxes.
- Sense of responsibility –members knowing and perform their roles and duties.
- Join others for community development projects
- Good moral standard
- Show fear of God on their human relationship.
In other to protect our good family name, we should not engage in bad behaviour like examination malpractices, cultism, fraud, pre-marital sex, violence, dishonesty etc that can bring shame to our family.
- What are some roles you have been playing in your family as a child?
- How can you maintain the good name of your family even when you’re alone?