ROLES OF CITIZENS IN CONSTITUTIONAL DEVELOPMENT.
- PRESENTING PAPERS TO GOVERNMENT: When a new constitution is to be made, citizens may present some papers to the government for consideration.
- VOTING FOR REPRESENTATIVES: Citizens may vote for representatives of National Assembly or Constitutional Drafting Committee on the road to a new constitution.
- STANDING FOR ELECTION: Citizens can also contest election to become a member of the legislature or drafting committee so that they can contribute to the making of the constitution.
- PRESENTATION OF NATIONAL ASSEMBLY: Citizens can also send memorandum to National Assembly for consideration.
- CRITICISMS: Citizens can equally kick against any constitutional making that may not be in the interest of the people before the final draft.
- DEBATE AND SYMPOSIUM: This can be organized by the press to allow members of the public to have a say in the constitutional making.
SUPREMACY OF THE CONSTITUTION
This means the constitution is above all individuals and government. Nobody is above the law.
WHY THE CONSTITUTION IS SUPREME
- It will serve s a symbol of Nationhood.
- To safeguard the rights and privileges of the people in a state.
- To prevent oppression and tyranny in a state.
- Supremacy of the constitution will guarantee that citizens get the right judgement in the court of law.
- It will also make the government to rule according to the laid down rules and regulations.
- It will also ensure that everybody is subject to the same law.