Entertainment means receiving people in the home and giving them food. A female who entertains is a hostess while a male who also entertains is host.
The person who is entertained is a guest.
IMPORTANCE OF ENTERTAINMENT
- It is a way of building good relationship among people
- It makes people happy
- It helps people learn how to treat others, for instance, respect of people feelings
- It’s a way of showing or sharing love
- It provides for relaxation which is necessary for good health
- It can help people develop interests and acquire skills needed in hospitality industry such as hotels and restaurants
- It gives the host/hostess opportunity to prepare different types of dishes (meals) and snacks
- It helps people learn how to serve others
PREPARATION FOR ENTERTAINMENT
- Preparation and sending out invitation letters or card
- Preparation of the house/ hall or venue
- Collection and arrangement of equipments and materials
- Preparation of refreshment or food
The amount of preparation needed depends on the type of party and number of people invited.
Characteristics of a good host or hostess
A good host or hostess must be able to;
- Decide on the type of the party to give and discuss with the family
- Plan the party thoughtfully and prepare in advance
- Decide on the date of the party, the number of people to invite, the kind of food to serve and the activities of the party.
- Shop wisely
- Clean and decorate the home for the party
- Be friendly, warm and enthusiastic
- At the end of the party, see the guests off to the door and thank them for attending.